26 October 2006

Here is a very abbreviated look at my process for a painting titled Storyteller, 24"x30" canvas. I often change up my approach for every new painting, and that allows me to adjust to the work as it develops.I talked about "dialogue" in an earlier post and that's why I feel its important that each piece takes on its own character. I have things figured out in my head but its the translation that matters with each piece.



Here I am figuring out composition, light and shadow and have left it monochrome because I am still weighing up how I want to use color. What do I want to leave out or perhaps emphasize is a question I ask myself at this stage.



With this next phase I am just getting a feeling for the space around the figure, setting the stage so to speak. I am finding my color now and I am interested in how it will react on its own and in relation to the figure.



Now its mostly about the figure at this stage. There still is a lot of pushing and pulling to do with the color and their respective values in the entire painting, not just the figure. If you compare it to the final, a post you will see if you scroll down there are differences between the painting at this stage and the final completed version. Albeit they are subtle especially around the face.

As for the meaning and concept of the piece, I leave that up to the viewer. I have my interpretation and understanding and reason behind the art, but it will be different for everyone. If things are ambiguous, great. I am trying to stop someone to think about whats in front of them. The art of painting I'll even admit is a bit antiquated for our modern day, and how everything is digital and instant, but thats why I like it.

This run down of my process is brief, but the creative process is what its all about. Once the things done I usually want it out of my face. Don't get me wrong I like them, they are like my children, but I have learned what I have learned and it is time to move on, with the next idea.

Don't forget the open studio event on November 18th. Here you will get an even better glimpse into my work and the thoughts I have that don't always go on to be completed works.Hope to see you here.

No comments: