19 June 2010

Full Circle




A page pulled from my sketchbook shows three examples of how I think and what I use a sketchbook for. Looking at other artist's sketches are far more interesting than seeing their finished work. As lovely as it is to see the end result, I want to understand their thoughts before that final stage. It possibly gives me a greater understanding of myself as an artist. Perhaps seeing others and how they do things will unlock more of what I am after; providing knowledge on how I can get there. It is about finding authenticity and trusting my choices. As long as I don't look to a select few artists for inspiration then the chances are it'll never look like someone else. I try to soak up as much media, in all varieties, to inform my process. As with everything I always want to feel like I am learning and that I ever have something "figured out". How boring would that be?!
If you take a look at the lower left sketch, that was my initial idea for a painting, and the final piece below.



Perhaps if I wasn't wrapped up in finalizing everything for this show, and also getting things going for my next one, I might be able to provide better perspective or instructive thought about the development of my process. And now thinking of it, I should have taken photos along the stages of the painting to show where I changed my mind about the design. It's not what I intended originally and that provided far too much deliberating, especially when you think that you have it right. However, I did change the background and value pattern in the piece and everything worked out well. It was one of those times when the painting didn't seem 'right.' I am always working towards changing the painting till it has a certain quality that piques my eye. If it doesn't then I might as well mess it up and try to find the new direction of the piece. Timidity is my enemy, oh and time too.



End result of the piece that it ended up promoting the show on this months issue of American Art Collector. Details of the show are above and on my website joshuaflint.com.
All the new pieces will be on the website next week when the show opens.

No comments: